Terry Spragg

Default Which Tool for Relieving Bulkhead ?

Table saw, or circular hand saw with fence. Set for 1/8" depth,
3" rip, and glide the saw free hand side to side. You may want to
set the fence on the wrong side. Then, finish with a wide flat
face chisel. Work up to a scored boundary segmented with a box
cutter, or leave it tapered.

Why bother? Raw fiberglass is so enabling. You can see a
suggestion of woodgrain through it, and integrity inspections are
*so* easy and hull liner materials like shag carpet are *so*
concealing, as is hull paint.

Terry K

mike worrall wrote:

Imagine a freshly cut-out plywood bulhead lying horizontaly on a table
before you. The bulkhead will be attached to, or installed into the
fiberglass hull using 'bonding angles' i.e., several layers of 'glass
/ epoxy that will lap onto both the bulkhead and hull. I'd like to
relieve, or remove, about 1/8" of the plywood (face) material all
along the edge of the bulkhead (where it will bond to the hull) for
(say) 3" from the edge on both sides of the bulkhead. In this way,
the 'glass angles will lie flush with the bulhead surface.

How do I do this? That is, wat tool(s) would be used for removing the
plywood, leaving a clean cut of consistent depth?

Appreciate any tips.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is