Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] is offline

Default Ping: SW Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:13:07 -0400, "Eisboch"

I'm waiting on my trailer at the moment - they had to replace one
entire set of spingles and backing plates. Don't know what happened,
but something did all pitted and rusted. I had both assemblys changed
- springs, brackets, backing plates, calipers, rotors, spindles - I
don't think there is one old part in either the suspension or braking
system. :)

Should be good for another eight years.

Years ago I had an old '82 Century Express something. This was the boat
that enabled Jim to retire in Florida. Anyway, it had an old, galvi tandeum
axle trailer that was in rough shape. I kept the boat in a slip, so the
trailer got little use, but every spring and fall I worried about it.

Sold (basically "gave") both to my brother. Now, my brother is famous for
his cheapne.... ah, call it "fugal" nature. When I gave him the boat I
warned him that the trailer really needed some work, or should be replaced.
It was so bad that when the boat was on it, the tires were at a 15 degree
angle inward.

But, he used it "as is" for another 2 or 3 years.

He finally sold both boat and trailer. The buyer gave him the money, hooked
the boat/trailer up to his truck, got less than a mile down the road and the
whole trailer suspension system collapsed, wheels and tires flattened
against the road and springs, mounts, bolts, etc. went bouncing down the
street.

That's classic.

Whoops. :)

Speaking of cheap brothers, out of curiosity, older or younger than
you?

My brother is as cheap as the day is long - younger by the way.

This guy can squeeze a penny into a buck - I swear.

My wife had a "cherry" T-Bird that I "sold" to my son when he turned
16. I wanted him to learn how to save up for something he wanted. It
was 7 yrs old, with 75,000 miles, maintained meticulously, earlier than
mfg'er recommendations. Great paint, waxed 4 times a year, inside
looked new, leather seats in great shape. The engine purred. I had
just changed the A/C compression and put new tires on the car so it
would be in good shape. I figured there was at least 50,000 more miles
on the car. He had been saving his money for a number of years so he
could buy this car when he got his drivers license. 30 days after he
got the car, the transmission started slipping and it would lose all
power whenever it warmed up. To fix it would cost over $2500. Talk
about buying a lemon from a family member.

I ended up trading the car on a new car, because the transmission was
not warm, it ran perfectly, (I think I got about $3,500 for the trade).
Him and his sister shared the car till they went off to college. I
always swore I would never do business with a family member, and that
reconfirmed why.