Larry Larry is offline

Default Need engine recommendation (Yamaha)

JohnDeere wrote in news:200979ad-5da0-4f16-
:

Is the fuel consumption of a 2 stroke roughly comparable to a 4
stroke? I know there are differences between carburetion and efi--
just looking for a generalization. I prefer a light engine on this
light boat.

The 2-stroke uses significantly MORE fuel than the 4. It's why cars have
4-stroke engines, exclusively, even though a 4-stroke is considerably more
complex with all its valve trains and timing gears.

But, in a boat situation, nothing beats a 2-stroke if you must take it off
the boat and carry it around or store it.....not the monster 2-strokes that
guzzle gas something awful, the little 2-strokes on a dingy for the
sailboat or little fishing boat. 4-strokes fall on their ass in this
application because you have to make sure you don't just lay it or carry it
in any position where the oil in the sump can run out or run back up
something important like a vent and flood the ending with lube oil. A
premix 2-stroke is also far lighter as it's about the simplest engine ever
built with no valve trains, oil pumps, and other heavy nonsense.

If it has transom clamps, buy a two stroke. If it's permanently mounted,
get the 4 and save save save!