posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default 12 volt stabalizer?

Bruce in alaska wrote in
:

In article
eyinternet,
"Chuck Tribolet" wrote:

Humminbird used to sell one called the SureVolt. They ran about $75.
When they quit
selling them, they remaineder the last ones for $15-20. They would
produce, IIRC,
about 1.5 A of 13.8V. Not enought to run a VHF (in transmit mode),
but enough
to keep my GPS and fishfinder from wigging out when I started the
motor and the
battery got pulled down to around 8V. It's still going strong on my
whaler.

In the Jameco.com Catalog, on page 123 they sell DC to DC Switching
Power supplies, of various Input and output voltages. Just a quick
glance shows a 8-18 Vdc Input, 12 Vdc Regulated Output at 1.25 amps
for $33US in ones'es. I use these all the time for various projects
and they work very well, and I buy them from OEM Distributers, at a
lot less than from Jameco.

Powerstream has one that puts out 13.8VDC with 9-14V input and won't
shutdown on starting if the battery stays above 6VDC..

It'll put out 700 watts for 5 minutes surge and 20ADC continuous.

http://www.powerstream.com/DC-PC-12V.htm

idle load is only .15A