Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Gas prices have doubled

Peter, have you ever read about the USS Liberty from the first-hand
reports of her crew in 1967? Take a look if you haven't....

Hi Larry,
Yes. It happened during my first year of university and I remember
watching special reports from the non-aligned networks. It was rather
obvious to all what had been going on. Which brings to mind the
sinking of the Maine in Havana Harbor (spelled that way for Bruce's
sake) in 1898 as a prelude to taking over many of the Spanish colonial
possessions such as the Philippines and converting them to American
colonial possessions.

By the way, I'm a former Christian, having been dragged into it by
parents and adults since birth. I'm a practicing Atheist, today. There
is no "god" and has never been one. Human superstitions run rampant
throughout our history without a single shred of evidence to
substantiate any of it. Those who live off superstitions make damned
sure noone asks too many embarrassing questions like when was Christ
born and when did it supposedly die. They don't like to talk about the
following 70 years when not a single historian wrote a single sentence
about such a man who could walk on water, heal the sick waving his hand
and raise the dead. I find that quite curious, don't you? The myth of
Jesus Christ came 3000 years after the same exact story of Horus in
verifiable Egyptian stone hyeroglyphics at Luxor, another of the
Zodiacal Sun Gods in a long string of Zodiacal Sun Gods. American
Christians get mad if you ask them what that fish symbol and cross on
the back of their minivans represents, having no idea of its Zodiac base
in the age of Pisces and the shorthand cross of the Zodiac they took the
ring off of many centuries ago...

In many ways I agree with you and personally do not know if there is a
God as such. It doesn't really matter at all to me. Prayer can be seen
as a means of talking to one's inner self, otherwise we do so little
introspection in our busy lives. It all depends on how you define or
visualise God which is different for all of us. Could be an
anthropomorphic bearded Michael- Angelo figure sitting on a throne or
a cloud or could be merely the life force which we are all part of.
There is also the need many people feel of having some path to follow
and a guide to living a good life. A boyhood friend of mine who is a
Catholic priest says that if simple people did not have statues of
saints to pray before, they would find it difficult to focus.

I have read the Bible (at a religous Christian boarding school) and
for me, there is some wonderful wisdom at times in that book as there
is in the Koran and in Bhuddist sutras; as there is in some of
Shakespear's sonnets and other poems. I spent a year in Kyoto many
years ago and can still vividly recall some of the Haiku poems I
learned such as the words that spring to mind when I see places where
thousands died in war - pointlessly in the long run.

"Of twenty thousand warriors life and sword and shield
Naught hath remained but the summer grass
Growing over the old battlefield'

It is a religous poem witten by a famous Bhuddist monk.

As for Christian symbolism, I could wax eloquent about such as the
misinterpretation of the Greek word kourae (young girl) for 'virgin',
the fact the Jesus died on a stake (word used is Greek "stauros' - the
cross came in 320 years later as a former symbol of the Roman Sol
Invicta - the sun God). I could go on for days in a like manner but to
do so would be pointless as far as I am concerned as it is the message
that should be the most important point of focus and what Christ said
is some pretty impressive advice for living in many ways.

Ok. It was basically from the mysticism of the Essenes who existed at
the same time but regardless, it is good advice to ponder upon.

I think that to more understand Jesus and his message one should
examine it in the scope of the times he lived. He may or may not have
been divine - thousands of people have died over that question -
Nestorians, Albigensians, Arrians etc. - but just look at the message.
Loving thy neighbour as thyself is not a bad way to treat your fellow
man.

My God, I sound like a Bible Belter!!

Here endeth the lesson!

Root of all Evil by Richard Dawkins
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X2epvSAGuLc
Professor Dawkins' view that forcing children into their parent's
superstitions is child abuse. Having been a victim, I heartily agree.

Yes, but the strange thing is that young people are now flocking back
to the banners of the various churches even though their parents
didn't have any religious beliefs. It's as if there is the need for
that certain something that will make sense of it all that resides
deep inside us all.

Besides Dawkins is a bit one eyed and seems to have a basic inviolate
view of what the "God" he denies is. He may be right.

Have you ever nursed someone who is dieing? I have. Amazing how they
"find God" when they spent their lives as atheists.

As for the afterlife. To hell with it! I don't want to go to heaven
and be attended by umpteen virgins. I'm sick of women at present. I
want to be reincarnated as a tablecloth. At least I'd` get laid three
times a day with narry a woman in sight. If some of the people I have
met who believe that they are going upstairs get there, I for one
certainly don't want to spend time in their company. They are just
bloody boring.

cheers
Peter

It's a crazy world we live in. Over 5000 humans die each DAY in the
name of one religion or another. How absurd. No wonder we're hell bent
on destroying the whole race as fast as possible.