Rick

Default 24 VDC appliances?

Rod McInnis wrote:

When looking for 24 volt equipment, take a look at commercial and "mega
yacht" sources. Lights shouldn't be a problem, but you may find that
electronics are scarce and very expensive.

Most newbuild megayachts are equipped with very
comprehensive AC electrical generation, regulation, and
distribution systems.

The last large (165') yacht I sailed on was wired like most
of its class and used a wheelhouse mounted bank of batteries
to supply the electronics. That bank was float charged by a
charger mounted in the battery room. No one is going to run
DC supplies from a central location on a larger boat.
Depending on the certification standards a local emergency
supply is required in any event.

While I have not bothered to search, the selection of marine
equipment available in 24VDC must be very very small. Most
all little boats use 12VDC, most larger boats use
110/220/480VAC.

There used to be a pretty good selection of 32VDC stuff but
even then most heating was provided by burning fuel
directly. It strikes me as absurd to run a heating or
cooking system on DC unless it comes straight from a DC
generator and even then, nowadays, why bother.

There are several diesel fired heating boilers available for
hydronic heating that can be supplanted with waste heat when
the main propulsion is online or a genset when it's not.

The megayacht industry has developed some outstanding power
management systems but none of them include low voltage DC
for heating or cooking. It just isn't practical, even in
larger scale, and certainly not when you have to burn diesel
in a generator to charge a battery to supply an inverter to
heat a resistance coil to make heat.

Rick