You You is offline

Default VHF DSC Radio Check

In article ,
"claus" wrote:

I just installed a Standard Horizon HX850S handheld VHF radio (with GPS) as
a backup for our 25 watt fixed VHF. I checked out the VHF transmit and
receive function with a couple of radio check calls to local boaters and
reception was 5 by 5. (Actually the reception was better than that on my
fixed VHF).

Additionally, I wanted to check the DSC functionality of the radio by
placing a ROUTINE call to the local Coast Guard's MMSI number. However,
after transmitting the signal, there was no "acknowledgement" for 5 minutes
and I then cancelled the call. Tried it again later with a routine
transmission to the "Rescue 21" MMSI number - again no acknowledgement.

I was transmitting on the HI setting (6 watts) and was in sight of the local
CG building - so the transmission "should have" triggered the automatic
response. The HX850S is brand new out of a sealed box so I doubt it is
defective... but one never knows.

I really would like to be sure that I can rely on the unit for a distress
call - but of course I won't know that until I am in an distress situation
and push "the red button"!

Any ideas or suggestions on how to check the DSC funtionality?

and what makes you think that the USCG actually has DSC fitted to ALL
their Remote Site VHF Receivers? USCG Comm Stations rarely have local
receives, and rely on Remote Site and High Site Receivers to provide
Area 1 coverage. the US is far behind, ever other country, in fitting
DSC into their Radio Systems. You should ask your CongressKritter,
why they haven't funded the upgrade for the last DECADE......