Rod McInnis

Default 24 VDC appliances?

"misia" wrote in message
ail.from.there...
On my new boat I will have a powerfull 24VDC battery bank charged by a
diesel generator and auxiliary sources.

How powerful? Are you talking about a thousand amp-hours, or a hundred
thousand amp-hours? I can't imagin the cost, hassle and space rewquired for
the latter, but it is what you would need to provide what you are asking
about.

I did a bit of search but couldn't find much- are there any 24 VDC
appliances such as cooker/oven, fridge, AC and water heater you could
recommend?

In general, it is impracticle to use battery power for creating heat, i.e.,
stoves, ovens, water heaters, etc. It simply takes too much power for too
long to make it practical to store. Nevermind the voltage, it is more of an
issue of watt-hours.

I know I can run standard items through power inverter but I would
prefer not to do it for the sake of reliability/efficiency/cost.

Using the inverter, you have the reliability and cost of just one thing: the
inverter. After that, you can use very reliable and low cost 110 volt AC
appliances. To find 24 volt anything is going to be expensive, and the
bottom line is that DC motors are just not as reliable as AC motors, and
high current/low voltage is harder to work with (and thus less reliable)
than higher voltage/lower current.

I want
to go totally electric (no gas)

Then run your generator when you need the power, and use the batteries for
the small stuff.

A reasonable battery bank can run your lights, refrigerator, and through an
inverter you can run small appliances (such as a blender or short use of the
microwave), TV, stereo, computers, etc.

When looking for 24 volt equipment, take a look at commercial and "mega
yacht" sources. Lights shouldn't be a problem, but you may find that
electronics are scarce and very expensive. Since your battery bank is most
likely made up of a number of batteries in series, you could tap off a 12
volt line and have both a 12 volt and 24 volt system. Use the 24 volts for
the higher wattage stuff, such as the inverter, windlass and lights. Use
the 12 volts for the electronics, such as depth finders, VHF, etc.

Run the stove, water heater, and air conditioning off the generator.

Rod McInnis