posted to alt.sailing.boats.crew,alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing.pbsa,alt.sailing
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Seeking advice for solo trip

.... in the USA there is no
license needed to operate your own boat... the only qualification
needed is to be able to pay for it (or have a good enough credit
rating).

Nikki Locke wrote:
It is the same here in the UK. Oddly enough, though, you need a licence
to operate a marine VHF.

Thanks for telling us that... I had the impression that you needed a
skipper's licence over there, and most places in Europe.

There is always talk of mandatory licencing... a mixed blessing IMHO
because I hate paperwork and having bureaucrats looking over my
shoulder; OTOH it would be nice to have fewer morons driving around on
the water.

.... Hopefully the Boston Community Sailing program
also covers basic VHF procedure? It's best to know how and when to use
the VHF, rather than get a dressing down from the Coastguard :-)

That is good advice... IIRC they only cover it in the classroom, the
boats don't have radios.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King