Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Gas prices have doubled

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:05:56 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Perhaps my problem is that I grew up in an area where the "Amish"
influence is strong. Personally, if I or mine is directly endangered, I
won't hesitate to use deadly force in defense. I admire those who can
effectively solve problems without physical conflict.

But can that be accomplished between cultures so different as al Quaida
vs. most/all western countries?

Can Israel possibly solve the problem of so many Muslim "entities"
refusing any possibility that they are a valid state, attacking them so
many ways?

Jere,
This is getting a bit off topic but begs a reply.

Firstly, the establishment of Israel was promoted by the chapel
politicians of Great Britain and their equally Bible reading
politicians of the USA. The Zionists were previously offered a
homeland in Uganda and in Australia, both of which they turned down.

Secondly, nobody asked the then current inhabitants as to the
establishment of a Jewish state in their lands. I do agree that it is
only proper that the Jews needed a homeland but to claim a right to
occupy Bible lands by prior occupation (the Diaspora began with
Titus's sacking of Jerusalem in 68AD) is the same right that Mussolini
and his Italian fascists claimed the right to accupy Libya and intern
its occupants in giant concentration camps where huge numbers were
systematically starved to death to provide land for Italian peasant
settlers. The claim was that it was a Roman province 2,000 years ago.

Also, there are many millions of Jews living throughout the world who
do not believe in the principle of the modern state of Israel such as
many of the Sephardic branch of Jews.

Thirdly, I do agree with non-proliferation of nuclear weapons. My
country (New Zealand) made a quite costly stand many years ago during
the cold war by banning ships with nuclear weapons from its ports.
However, I have often wondered why it is not ok for Iran to have
nuclear weapons but it is perfectly fine for Israel, Pakistan (another
US`ally) and India to have them even though they have not signed the
various protocols of non-proliferation. Only recently it was revealed
that it was the Pakistan armed forces who shipped the necessary
nuclear weapon technology and machinery to North Korea aboard North
Korean military planes from Pakistan. This hardware and technical
knowledge originally came from the USA. This, and the fact that
neither India nor Pakistan have signed the non-proliferation concords
is why Australia refuses to sell them its uranium.

The rest of the world really doesn't mind the US stance on Iran's
nuclear weapon development, which is also the position of the EU, but
it does not fail to see the double standards. If the US does attack
Iran on some trumped up pretext as they did in Iraq, then the world's
current shortage of petroleum will compound dramatically. However, it
probably won't matter as big business will make even more money in
supplying its subsidiary, the military. Their children will not be
sent to die.

regards
Peter