Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Gas prices have doubled

On 2008-07-13 22:49:50 -0400, Larry said:

Herodotus wrote in
:

The last three wars of Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq have shown that
superior technology doesn't necessarily mean you win.

My only problem with your post is the "you" in the above sentence.

Oh gosh Larry, this is one subject I won't debate you online, though
I'll indicate that that "you" was generic, not directed to anyone in
particular.....

NO participant or observer wins in war. All lose, one way or the other.

But sometimes the war must be fought to give the non-combatants some
measure of freedom. Some "good" wars left the populace only slightly
improved. Unluckily, some "good" wars left the populace in worse shape.
(At the time, it sounded like a good idea.)

Perhaps my problem is that I grew up in an area where the "Amish"
influence is strong. Personally, if I or mine is directly endangered, I
won't hesitate to use deadly force in defense. I admire those who can
effectively solve problems without physical conflict.

But can that be accomplished between cultures so different as al Quaida
vs. most/all western countries?

Can Israel possibly solve the problem of so many Muslim "entities"
refusing any possibility that they are a valid state, attacking them so
many ways?

--
Jere Lull