Bob Bob is offline

Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

On Jul 12, 8:25*am, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:28:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

*"Steve Lusardi" wrote:
I guess I do not understand your comment, as you did not include the basis
for the statement. I have used cases of the stuff and find 5200
extraordinarily useful.

Same here

wrote:
What it is NOT, is a GENERAL PURPOSE adhesive OR sealant. It should
never be used for deck hardware or fittings, as it can not be easily
removed without damaging the items it is bonding and sealing.

I agree with you, 5200 is not a GENERAL PURPOSE material.

You should have stopped right here, before your "inner stupid blowhard" took
over once again.

Guys like
you should not use it... Damaging deck hardware & fittings? WTF??!?

No, that's not what I said. Guys like you should have someone read and explain
things to you. When you bed deck hardware and fittings to a fiberglass deck or
hull surface, removing that piece without damage to the fiberglas is not always
a complete success. And if the surface is wood, you may as well have replacement
wood at the ready. It's going to make a mess.

For the rest of us, 5200 is great. Shucks, 3-M makes a huge number of
very very useful products.

Nobody said 3M doesn't make a huge number of great products. I didn't even say
that 5200 was a bad product. I plainly said that it simply isn't right for the
majority of places where ignorant buffoons and hacks such as you slather it on
things indiscriminently.- Hide quoted text -

Hello.......
Foul mouth Bob here,
I chose to NOT use 5200 to bed my through deck chain plates becuase
the 3M TDS numbers were too WEAK for my liking. I read the many,
"youre an idiot for using 5200 to bed chain plates. It will eventually
fail and will be hell to remove !"

Well after reading the test results of several products I
agree................ 5200 is weak comared to other products and will
fail. So why not use a "better" product? Duh.......

So I chose Silaprene. When I talked with their tech guy he said one of
the more common uses is glueing truck trailors togehter. extreame temp
range/vibration/expansion-contraction. Ya nkow the 40' semi boxes
rolling down the interstate at 70 mph. They dont use 3M 5200.

Now about that link from the Good old Boats.......... Why do you think
that ONLY BOat LIfe and 5200/4200 are specificly named yet no other
company products get a mention??????

No if I was bedding a below the water line through hull...........
then Id use 5200! why, cause the product is better suited for 100%
immersion. Things have come a long way since Dolphinite.

Bob

Bob