otnmbrd otnmbrd is offline

Default No attempt to avoid collision

There was a (b) to 88.12....
In reading both 88.11 and 88.12 I have to think they have no special
privelege, even though common sense says we need to be aware of the
potential life threatening consequences to impeding their passage and act
accordingly.
There's definite room for argument, clarification, and/or further
research on this one.

"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
.70...

Can anyone show me the Rule which gives law enforcement or CG "right
of way" when blue light flashing? Just asking

otn

Dave wrote in
:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:02:37 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

What bothers me is people who keep lists of people they don't like.

It was a literary allusion, Jon. To the Lord High Executioner's song
in The Mikado about his little list of people who'll "none of them
be missed".

I found this in Annex V... nothing about enforcement. I suppose you
could claim that it's a sanctioned public safety activity, but would
fall under 88.12.

§ 88.11 Law enforcement vessels

(a) Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when
engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This
light must be located so that it does not interfere with the
visibility of the vessel’s navigation lights.

(b) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law
enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their
political subdivisions.

§ 88.12 Public Safety Activities

(a) Vessels engaged in government sanctioned public safety activities,
and commercial vessels performing similar functions, may display an
alternately flashing red and yellow light signal. This identification
light signal must be located so that it does not interfere with the
visibility of the vessel’s navigation lights. The identification light
signal may be used only as an identification signal and conveys no
special privilege. Vessels using the identification light signal
during public safety activities must abide by the Inland Navigation
Rules, and must not presume that the light or the exigency gives them
precedence or right of way.