Old Nick

Default Plywood vs. Strip-Plank

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:49:47 +0200 (EET), (Sakari
Aaltonen) vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Is there a rule (scantling) for replacing plywood with strip-plank?
That is, if plywood of X millimeters is specified for a hull, then
what should the thickness of the strip planks be?

I do have a vague idea of doubling; in other words, using 12mm strips
instead of 6mm plywood, say. But I can't think of where I got this from,
and, indeed, it seems to add a lot of weight.

Unfair question. Sheathed or not? Both sides or only outside? If not
sheathed, how are you going to join the planks?

Ply is very strong on its own, and if I was strip planking without
sheathing, doubling the thickness would be a minimum.

But if you sheath both sides with epoxy/glass, the whole situation
changes. The ply/strip just about only becomes a way to hold two
tensile-strong layers apart. Ply would still be stronger if damage was
done to the skin(s).

If ply of Xmm is specified, talk to the designer about how many Xmms
they would ask for to replace it.

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was
causing it all.
But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan,
really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?