posted to alt.sailing.boats.crew,alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing.pbsa,alt.sailing
Nikki Locke Nikki Locke is offline

Default Seeking advice for solo trip

wrote:
I'm considering undertaking a trip soon, and I wanted to see what
people's opinions are before I set out. If you'd prefer not to read my
whole post, here it is in a nutshell. I'm 26, in good shape, with
modest sailing ability. I plan to purchase a boat, between 22-27 feet
and sail along the coast of New England for about 1-2 months, hopping
from harbor to harbor. Is this sensible?

Go to school to learn about tides, navigation, collision regulations,
etc. It is all important stuff you should know before ocean sailing. You
can certainly learn enough to get by in about 10 evenings.

I don't know what the regulations are in the US, but you will probably
need some paperwork - check with the Coastguard. You should be able to
find reasonably priced short courses to get the necessary certificates.

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd. PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@remove the "no.spam.please." to replytrumphurst.com