Alan Gomes Alan Gomes is offline

Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

Bob wrote:
On Jul 10, 7:30 am, " wrote:
On Jul 10, 3:35 am, wrote:

Just the same, I know quite a few folks who thought all "Silicone" was the same,
and they bought their's at Home Depot to save a few bucks. OOPS!

I think I get your point, and that's why I've been asking for reports
from users. Still, the 3M "Marine" silicone sealant that I bought at
West Marine just a few months ago was acid cure and double the price
of hardware store too...

My advice is spend a few days and become knowldegable sealant-adhesive
user. It took me nearly a month of calls to tech guys, reading
Technical Data Sheets, crusing websites to get a good understanding.
WM....and anyother retail boat store. They will carry the product
that provides the most profit and is "most popular" for everybodys
use... You know, the fit all product.

Regarding silicon products. When I installed my polycarb fixed port
lights I had to use silicone. After a few weeks I narrowed a few
products down and started calling the manufactures. Then I called a
couple instate big city commercial window installers (Union Shops of
course). I chose a product used to "glue" 4'x8' windows in sky
scrapers and keep Lexan in place in high security prisons. The tech
guys refered to it as "structural silicone" It has the same density as
lead (JK). It was a Dow Corning product can t remember the #, maybe
DC-735???

snip
Bob

Perhaps the stuff you have in mind is Dow-Corning 795. I've used it
quite successfully to attach plexiglas deadlights.

--Alan Gomes