[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

On Jul 10, 3:35*am, wrote:
Just the same, I know quite a few folks who thought all "Silicone" was the same,
and they bought their's at Home Depot to save a few bucks. OOPS! The home
version releases ACID as it cures. Pretty hard on boat hardware.

I think I get your point, and that's why I've been asking for reports
from users. Still, the 3M "Marine" silicone sealant that I bought at
West Marine just a few months ago was acid cure and double the price
of hardware store too... And, FWIW, 5200 releases solvents which may
include toluene, heptane and acetone. I'm still waiting for the
adhesive / sealant that sticks to everything, melts nothing and cures
in just the time needed... I don't know if this Silaprene stuff is it,
but the ability to stick to unprimed metal and other interesting
properties (see Bob's post) could make it a useful addition to my bag
of less than ideal goos.

-- Tom.