posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
MMC MMC is offline

Default Top heavy?

"David" dh@. wrote in message
I've got an old boat very much like this one:

http://www.warnersdock.com/images/Fr...fores15yel.JPG

that I'm trying to make into a mini-houseboat,
sort of like a camper. I only expect to have
about 200-300 pounds in the roof and walls,
and the roof will only be about 48" above
the gunwale. The hull will weigh a *lot* more
than what is added, so shouldn't that alone
be enough to keep it from being top heavy
and flipping over? If I add weight, like a
couple hundred pound bags of sand down
in the hull to counterballance, shouldn't
that take care of it? If so, should they
be placed on the sides, or in the center?

Pontoon boats make pretty good house boats. I checked out a 22' that the
owner had built up about 2/3s the deck space with house and a patio roof
over the open front. He used that sandwiched foam/aluminum patio roofing and
it came out real well. Kinda looked like a floating trailer, but it served
his purposes.