Bob Bob is offline

Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

On Jul 8, 8:54*am, " wrote:
*Has anyone here been using it
on boats and if so how's it holding up?

-- Tom.

YES,

A few years ago I needed to rebed my chain plates.They were the
through the deck type. What caught my eye was a brief reference I read
to an aritcle in some small boating magizine to Silaprene and its
virtues. I researched Silaprene extensivily for a couple months
talking to both their tech guys and Dow Corning, 3M, and a bunch of
other tech guys.

I posted my finding here. Just do a search and youll find all the Lap
Strength.... Elongation..... etc specs.

Bottom line is Silaprene is vastly superior to many adhesive typically
used for chain plate to fiber glass bedding.

Now comes the phiosophy arguments:
1) NEVER USE 5200 or others to seal becuase its so terrible to remove.
Because it WILL fail.

To that I say based on my application and product specs the reason why
5200 fails is because it is not designed for that application and is
simply not tuff enough for the job.

When you look up the numbers on the product youll find that Silaprene
has a higher temp range than 5200. What the big deal with that? Temp
on decks on a sunny day can EXCEED the temp range for 5200 and it DOES
fail unlike Silaprene .
SInce I have redesigned my trough deck chain plate and used Silaprene
its been dry as a bone but mine is only about a 3 year study. However,
if you actuyally do the reasearch and compare the SPECS of each of the
more common sealants I bet you draw the sam conclussion as I.

I may have plsted in RBbuilding and not RBC I cant remember. But its
all there.........
Bob
PS have you noticed that several people posted here but none answered
your question. They fixated on 5200 prob because that is all they
know.