[email protected] PhantMan@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Tolman pounding

I have a planing Dory with a narrow flat bottom, flared sides and hard
chines. When I can no longer stand the pounding, I quarter the waves
and lean the boat over as far as I can get it. In effect, turning the
side/chine/bottom into a V bottom. Be forwarned, this action can
terrify the passengers. As a sailor though, you should feel right at
home riding around on a 45 degree angle. Whether or not it works very
well will depend on how hard your chines are. Wouldn't hurt to give it
a try though.
Rick.

On Mon, 23 Jun 08, ohara5.0 wrote:
Perhaps I am reading sea conditions wrong or perhaps because it is so
shallow here that I cannot get any idea of other conditions. My
Tolman Skiff seems to pound in 1’ chop at any speed over 12 kts. Of
course, it does have a very small deadrise of only 8 degrees but it
does have more of a v-forward.
Where I normally go, the water depth is rarely over 15’ and most of
the time shallower. However, the bay is open to the south so we can
get some chop. I would have to go out more than 20 miles to get into
deep water.
Here is how I read the water conditions. On Saturday, I went out in
my 28’ sailboat (weighs 8000 lbs) and I estimated wind was 14 kts and
seas were 2’ but very close together, certainly less than 8 ‘ apart.
There was chop superimposed on the small swells. It was a fun ride
because the bow would plunge into a wave and throw spray all over.
SUNDAY, I went out in the Tolman in what seemed to be 10 kt winds
with chop I would estimate at maybe 1’. Maybe there were seas but
they were roughly the same as the chop. At any speed INTO the waves
over 12 kts, she would pound. Turning and going the other way WITH
the waves, I could go over 20 kts.with almost no pounding.
Now, this is my first power boat so I do not know what is normal. Am
I reading the seas wrong? Is this pounding “normal”. Would deeper
water produce better riding conditions? I had my wife and daughter
forward to help keep the bow down. I cannot tell if the power tilt/
trim helps.