Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:59:24 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:29:59 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

There is a solvent for 5200 which is also magic for getting 30 year old
striping tape residue and similar stuff off. I forgot the exact name but it
is something like "Marine Formula". Google should turn it up.

Like I said earlier, "some" vasectomies are reversable.

You can't count on it, though.

I would also wonder what effects a solvent for 5200 might have on
fiberglass, and other materials that it might contact. Do they claim
it will penetrate deeply and release 5200 that is holding something
such as a chainplate? I'd just as soon use something that doesn't
leave a question that may have an unhappy answer later - far from
port. It's not as if there aren't proper alternatives.

How about getting specific?
Like where you use 5200 as an adhesive and where you use something
else.
Same use of a one-for-all solution happens a lot on the automotive
side. Since Blue RTV came out it's found it stuck between every part
put together by some mechanics, whether it serves a useful purpose or
not.
I promise not to mention WD-40 - or MSD's.
Personally, I'm pretty particular about lubricants and caulks, but
sometimes slip with the small squeeze tube stuff, because it's prone
to harden up after being opened.

--Vic