Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

I guess I do not understand your comment, as you did not include the basis
for the statement. I have used cases of the stuff and find 5200
extraordinarily useful. However, it is NOT a sealant. It is a very very
tenacious, all temperature, gap filling, permanent adhesive with limited
flexibility. Used correctly, it will last longer than the boat. It is
expressly useful for adhering different materials having different expansion
coefficients.
Steve

wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:54:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

A buddy handed me a tube of this stuff and gave me a little sermon on
its virtues compared to 5200. Apparently it is used in the auto
industry and it sticks well to metal. Has anyone here been using it
on boats and if so how's it holding up?

-- Tom.

"Silaprene" is the name for about 200 different formulas, some of
which may react badly with what you are bonding, or have other issues.

That said, 5200 is not a good general purpose adhesive, either. There
are very few "good" uses for it on a boat.