John H.[_4_] John H.[_4_] is offline

Default signal to noise ratio

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:49:15 +0100, Jonathan Spencer
wrote:

In message , John H.
writes

How's life in the UK these days? Where do you boat?

How's life in the UK? Where shall I start, 42 days detention without
charge, prohibition on handguns for something I didn't do, 90 year old
man thrown out of Labour Party conference for shouting "rubbish" in
response to Blair, er, speaking rubbish, paying $9.80/gallon for diesel,
... no perhaps I'd better not start. :-)

Life's fine, thank you. ;-)

I have two boats. One is an Old Town 15' canoe which I use for fishing
on the local bywaters. I've also got a 16' Shetland Alaska
http://seahog.co.uk/Alaska500.htm with a 50HP Yamaha 2-stroke engine.
This is what we call a day fisher, which I use for fishing in the North
Sea and on the local river, the Tees, which is now barraged. But I
haven't used it for quite some time and there's something wrong with the
engine: after laying up for a year it doesn't seem to be getting hot and
it was cutting out and wouldn't rev up to full throttle. I need to take
a look and work out what's wrong, maybe a sticky thermostat.

The Tees dumps into a harbor with a golf course on both sides. My kind of
place!

Sorry about the detention. I know how the old man thrown out of the
conference feels. I got thrown out of a place recently for roughly the same
thing. Oh well.

That Alaska appears to be a serious fishing boat. Do you do well in the
North Sea? What kind of fish do you mostly catch?

If you've the time, explain the problem with the engine a little more.
There are some very knowledgeable people here. I'm not one of them. From
what you've said, it does sound like the thermostat. I'd probably replace
it before doing anything else.