Larry Larry is offline

Default Fuel economy of older jet boats

"Calif Bill" wrote in
m:

I did not buy an aluminum jetboat for the economy. I bought it to run
shallow and tree filled rivers. Better economy than a jetski. My
351W engine got me about 2 mpg, 3400# 21' boat. The newer 5.7L mpi
gets better, but have not really checked on the mpg yet.

What's really unfortunate is the unscrupulous American dealers for the
Mercury Sport Jet-powered boats and PWC dealers who purposely DON'T tell
new owners their jets will be destroyed if they suck up a rock the diameter
of a quarter and get it wedge between the whirling impeller and the stator
1/8" behind it in the flow. Many PWC and jetboats are destroyed here
because owners don't know the difference between Australian-style flats
boats powered by filtered jets with no stator and what's being sold as
jetboats in the USA....never made to handle a rock.