Jim Conlin

Default Cedar Strip Construction

I'm away from my books, but i recollect that he'd changed from using 'plastic resin' or
epoxy to yellow glue in later years.

Drew Dalgleish wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 04:00:06 GMT, Jim Conlin
wrote:

Glenn, I defer to your research on larger boat structures. For the 28' tri I'm
building, i did use epoxy between the core-cell planking strips.

I should have qualified my statements to small boats which are not left in the
water.
On strip canoes, as the cross-grain strength of the 1/4" cedar is negligible, the
glass carries all of the 'thwartship loads. I've not heard of many strip canoe or
kayak builders using anything but carpenter's wood glue such as Titebond. My canoes
are kept dry, if only to keep the varnish out of the sun, but that's another thread.
I've not had any print-through of the yellow glue in the seams.

Ted Moores recommends using only plastic resin glue in his canoecraft
book. That's what I used on the 16' cedar strip prospector canoe I
built. I found it easy to work with, sands nicely and doesn't show
glue lines. It's also quite cheap to buy.
Drew