Roger Martin

Default Cedar Strip Construction

"KR & CA Hunter" wrote in message
Has anybody bought and built from a Compumarine plan? If so, could you
advise your experiences? I would like my next boat project to be a cedar
strip row/power boat and the John Clark plans look Ok on the web, but they
seem a bit expensive for what are essentially a set of hull templates.

Also, can anybody advise on what type(s) of glue are suitable for cedar
strip construction. Builders adhesive has been suggested. Here in
Australia the "Liquid Nails" product is sometimes referred to as builders
glue. Does anyone know whether this is the same product?

I would prefer to build without fasteners if possible, so any experience

out
there would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ken

I just use the woodworkers PVA glue on my strip kayaks. It cleans up with a
wet sponge prior to setting, sets clear, is easy to sand down if needed.
However it will not hold without a clamp or staples until dried. Once dried
it will hold the strips in complex curves - I was surprised at first just
how the whole kayak shape stayed snug onto the mould when I removed the
staples. Once covered in epoxy and glass it does not really matter what glue
was used between the strips.

If you are desperate not to staple there are a few designs for clamps, or
just buy some shares in Gaffer Tape and use rolls of it to pull the planks
tight. I find that the staple holes close up and are so small as to be
almost invisible unless you go looking.

IMHO avoid using epoxy as the gluing medium - its too hard and when you fair
the hull/deck you'll end up with ridges where the cedar sands down faster
than the epoxy.

Have a look at www.oneoceankayaks.com which has an enormous amount of detail
on wood strip construction, epoxy, glassing.

--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs