William R. Watt

Default Cedar Strip Construction

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:
I just cannot believe how many people will do ANYTHING to avoid spending
$50 for some epoxy. Enough 1/4" clear cedar strip for a decent size

cedar is very soft, epoxy is very hard. the cedar strips are very thin and
flexible. not a good fairing combo. I don't think epoxy is ever a good
choice for soft wood which has to be smoothed when set. Platt Monfort uses
it on his skin over frame boats but the ribs and stingers don't form the
hull surface like the stips in a stripper boat.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm