steveJ

Default Glassing the hull of a wooden runabout

I visited a boat shop on Grand Manan Island in the Bay of Fundy
two years ago and my observations would lead me to believe that
what you say about polyester not sticking to wood is incorrect.
This shop built and refurbished commercial lobster boats up to about
40 feet in length. At first I had my doubts. The owner, a great old guy
in his 80's, showed me a traditionally planked boat that he had
polyester fiberglassed over about 15 years prior. The boat was made from
white cedar and white oak and much of the trim was maple.
The boat was still in good shape, no rot, except for the maple trim
pieces which were above the waterline.
This boat was fiberglassed only on the outside. The interior was bare
wood with some areas painted. This boat was being heavily used as a
commercial lobster boat. The boat was back in his shop to replace
the outer rubrails and gunnel trim and to put in a polyester patch
that had worn through where they dragged the traps up over the side.
He explained that the trick was to dry out the wood throughly.
This shop had a heated concrete slab floor.
I asked him about epoxy and he said he would not allow it in his shop
because it was toxic.
Being a long time advocate of the wonders of epoxy I was very surprized
to see all of this but it is hard to argue with reality. Especially when
you see it from people who depend on the materials for thier lives.
Perhaps they were successful using polyester on wood because of the cold
water temperatures and salty water. I don't know, except in this case it
worked.

Another Steve
SteveJ

Le Grande Raoul wrote:
In article , steve
wrote:

Rufus wrote in message

There are two intrinsic problems as I understand it. 1) The glass will
delaminate from the wood, one way or another. 2) Moisture will get into
the wood from the inside and the wood will stay wet and rot (because the
bottom is sealed).

I have never had any delamination or wet rot problems as you
described.

This "won't stick" idea comes from the days before epoxy was available
at reasonable prices. Polyester doesn't stick to bare wood very well.
It does relativly well when the wood is new but pretty bad if the wood
is used. Once read in a book that if one wants polyester soaked glass
to stay attached to used wood, it needs to be mechanically fastened
(nailed).

Modern epoxy does very much better and an entire new style of
boatbuilding erupted when it became financially feasable.

Jeff