posted to rec.boats.building
pete pete is offline

Default Fixing Aluminium cleats with stainless bolts

Hi all,
I have bought some aluminium mooring cleats with holes threaded in the
underside to be fixed with bolts from under the deck. I know there are
isues with stainless and aluminium but as there should be no water
ingress to the threads is it ok to use stainless bolts? Or is there
still going to be corrosion.

It's just that I have a load in stock and I'd rather not go and buy a
load more in alloy!

On another issue, I have the fairleads to go with them, but these need
to be screwed with a wood screw from above into the beam shelf. I
don't see anybody selling alloy wood screws so I suppose its stainless
there. So (as salt water is going to be continually sprayed over them)
should there be some sort of protection (paste or plastic) between the
screw and the fitting?

Pete