Jim Jim is offline

Default Boating today...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Who told me that? A "techie" guy on a real boating discussion board, who
backed up what he said with a quote from the manual.

Your "techie" is full of it.

Hydraulic systems are capable of very fine and repeatable positioning due
to the non-compressibility of the fluid.
They are used often over cable or pneumatic systems when fine positioning
control is required because they overcome the "sticky" nature of
pneumatics and the stretching of cables. In the business I was in we
used air over oil hydraulic systems to precisely move and locate 500 lb
objects to within thousands of an inch.

If the hydraulic steering system has not been purged of all air, or if
there is a leak, I can accept the helm position non-repeatability. But,
if leak-free and purged of all air, it should be perfectly repeatable.

It's the cross wind.

Eisboch

To be sure, if you see Krause's name anywhere in a thread, you will be
seeing a lot of horse **** being thrown around.
Cross wind will cause you to have to adjust helm position to maintain a
straight course but I don't think that is the complaint. the issue is that
when the boat is at rest and the engine is centered, the wheel position has
changed from it's original position.
I just took a peek at the Sea Star Web site. It seems there check valves and
pressure relief valves built into the system. A leak in a check valve or
operation of a pressure relief valve could be the cause of what these guys
are seeing. No? Not to mention seal leakage. I don't think these are
precision devices like the ones Eisboch is used to dealing with. The subject
has been beat to death and if anyone doesn't like the fact that the suicide
knob wont stay at 11 O' Clock, they should contact Teleflex for relief. Or
they could have Eisboch's old company design and build a precision $500,000
helm.