Derek Hartmann

Default Cutting Fiberglass-Rotary Cutter

When using a rotary cutter for cutting glass material, there are a couple of
brands to consider and also the size of the blade. Fiskars uses a stainless
steel blade and OLFA uses a tungsten carbon blade which will last three to
four times longer than the Fiskars Tool. Also, from my experience you are
better off to use a 60mm Tool for cutting the various glass materials. A
word of caution, if you do not use some sort of cutting mat to cut your
material, you will dull your blade very fast. Most of my customers uses a
cutting mat while using this tool. In your application, it appears that you
will not be able to utilize this mat since you are cutting the material off
an existing platform. Another possibility is using a utility knife if you
do not have a lot of material to cut. I would recommend the OLFA NOL-1
Knife with the UltraMax Blade. This tool has a ratcheting lock, so that you
can set your desired blade length. OLFA is the inventor of the breakoff
blades and the new UltraMax blade is 30% sharper than the standard breakoff
blades and will last about 25% longer. The OLFA Tools do have a life-time
guarantee.

Another possibility is to use the proper shear to cut your material. Today,
there are some new shears in which the blades are configured to cut the
various types of fiberglass materials. Your standard shears such as WISS
really do not have the right configuration to properly cut some of today's
new materials.

Hope that this information helps you with your applications.

Regards,

Derek

--
Specialty Sales Systems