Jim Jim is offline

Default Yamaha Fuel Management Gauges

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 19:16:46 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:34:18 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 13:49:02 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

GPS has nothing to do with fuel usage.

No, it's just a tool used for management of fuel use.

I've given up trying to understand why. :)

Here's what I'm thinking.
You're traveling from A to B at what rpm and pitot speedo say is 20
knots.
The current is going from B to A, at five knots.
You don't have GPS, and are on a compass heading to Grand Cayman.
You didn't know about that current.
The engines start coughing as the fuel runs out.
It's hot as Hades, with not a cloud in sight.
For the first time you notice fins cutting through the water.
You look at the sky again. Damn, what are those vultures doing flying
so far from land?
You try to raise Wayne on the VHF, so he can get a fix on you with his
radar.
No luck. Wayne is taking photos of salt water pigs.
What do you do?
What do you do?
Oh, there's no conductor aboard to ask.
HTH

--Vic

Rewind to the beginning.
Plan your trip.
Use the rule of 3 for gas. 1/3 out 1/3 back 1/3 reserve. When you've used
1/3 of your fuel it's time do decide do I go forward or do I go back.
Use a chart or graph similar to what Gene has to get your performance data.
You probably already know your most comfortable and efficient cruise speed.
You can now estimate your trip time. and fuel usage. If you know that you
can refuel at your destination you can safely use 2/3 of your fuel and still
have your 1/3 tank in reserve.
Don't forget to bring human fuel too.
Plan for every situation you can think of. That way when something
unexpected happens you might already have a plan.
What not to plan for?
Don't plan on Wayne being there to save your bacon when you didn't do your
planning.