Lloyd Sumpter

Default DIY Exhaust

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:20:36 +0000, Kevin wrote:

Exhaust work should be much cheaper than that for a small part even in
stainless. If you can trailer it you may want to take it down to the local
muffler shop and see what kind of rates they quote you. I have a lot of custom
exhaust work done on various hot rod and 4x4 projects and have never spent
anywhere near that much.... As one of the other posters said, you may be able to
re-use your existing piece by just having the proper ends welded on it if the
dimensions are correct. Even welding the correct ends onto the existing piece of
tube (assuming its dimensions are correct) shouldn't run more than about $60.00
(an hour of shop time), and a good shop can expand or shrink the tube down the
correct diameter.

Yeah...the more I find out about the guys I used to do this (and many other
projects, usually costing about a Boat Buck each...) the less I like them. Just
had a Real Look at it - the pipe is about 2 ft long altogther, with 3 bends in
it and a "injection site" on the last bend to inject the cooling water. As you
say, any competent steel fabricator should be able to make this up for a few
hundred dollars, tops.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36