Tim Mueller

Default are Hereshoff plans in the public domain ?

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Gregg,

Are there no steel reproductions/simulations/etc. of Herreshoff designs ?

Would those in charge of the archived plans obstruct an attempt to do
such a thing ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney

Cape Cod Shipbuilding owns the rights and tooling for the 12, the 15, and a
couple other small desigins. They built some wooden 12's back in the '50s
(I own one), and currenty produce a fiberglass version of the 12. An
original set of molds for the 12 is in the Herreshoff Museum, labeled as
"courtesey Gordon Goodwin, Cape Cod Shipbuilding." At the Annapolis
Sailboat Show last October, one of Gordon's daughters told me that they
(Cape Cod) are happy to help restoration projects with replacement hardware,
construction information, etc.

For those trying to figure out how the HMCo document collection at MIT is
organized, a copy of "Guide to The Haffenreffer-Herreshoff Collection"
published by the MIT Museum (ISBN 0-917027-051) will help. It also spells
out MIT's policies regarding replicas and reproductions for boats other than
those whose rights are held by Cape Cod Shipbuilding. Also, Mystic Seaport
has lines (without offsets) for the Herreshoff boats in their collection (a
12 and "Alerion") that are suitable for half-hull model building.