Ken Sarkozy

Default viking ship plans ripoff

Boris,

Here is what I got:

Plan I: Das Gokstadschiff. Body plan, half-breadth plan, sheer plan, 1:50
scale.

Plan II: Das Gokstadschiff. Longitudinal construction plan along
centerline, showing details of mast step, ribs, location of keel scarfs.
1:50 scale.

Plan III: Das Gokstadschiff. Four transverse cross-sections of the mast
step. Longitudinal cross-section of the mast step at centerline. Plan view
construction drawing of mast step. Cross-section of Frame 1 (fastening of
rudder) and Frame 19 (most forward full frame). 1:50 scale.

Plan IV: Gokstadboot 1. 6-oared Faering, Body plan, sheer plan,
half-breadth plan. 1:20 scale.

Plan V: Gokstadboot 1. 6-oared Faering. Longitudinal construction plan
along centerline. Half-breadth construction plan. Cross-section construction
drawing showing rudder attachment. Cross-section construction drawing at
midship. Oar plan. 1:20 scale.

Plan VI: Gokstadboot 3. 4-oared Faering. Body plan, sheer plan,
half-breadth plan. 1:20 scale.

Plan VII: Gokstadboot 4(?). 4-oared Faering. Body plan construction
drawing. Longitudinal construction plan along centerline. Plan-view
construction plan. Cross-section construction drawings at rudder attachment,
midships, foremost frame and midway between midships and rudder. Plan and
cross-sections of oar. 1:20 scale.

Plan VIII: Plans and cross-sections of spars for Gokstadschiff. 1:20 scale.

Hope this helps,
Ken

From: "Boris Beizer"
Newsgroups: rec.boats.building
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:32:40 GMT
Subject: viking ship plans ripoff

"Ken Sarkozy" wrote in message
Plans of the Oseberg and Gokstad ships, as well as those of the Gokstad
faerings can be purchased from:

Universitetet I Oslo
Institutt for Arkeologi, Kunsthistorie og Numismatikk
Oldsaksamlingens Regnskapskontor
St. Olavsgt. 29 N
0166 Oslo, Norge

I purchased my copies in 1997 for 150 Kroner, or about $21.16 (at the

time)
plus $10 service charge for the currency exchange.

Plans for Gokstad Ship are in 1:50 scale. Plans for the faerings are in

1:20
scale.

Ken Sarkozy

Thank you Ken. That is precisely the information I was looking for. How
are these plans? Is there more to them than the nice three-view that they
sell as a poster or the three view plans that appear in the book "The Viking
Ships in Oslo." I have those, but there is just not enough detail to build
a good model.

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email