Rufus

Default DIY Exhaust

The engine exhaust temperature can get very hot - much hotter than the
heater; a diesel mech or possibly (this subject doesn't usually concern
most buyers) the manufacturer could tell you _how_ hot. If the cheap
flex stuff sprouts a hole, very bad things can happen - CO poisoning
and/or fire.

I haven't done any hotrodding in 20 years, but I think I recall gas
engine exhaust in the area of 1400-1800 F. at the port. I don't know if
diesels run hotter or cooler, but you'd have to get a _long_ way cooler
before I'd consider using flex hose for engine exhaust.

Back pressure may also be an issue for the flex.

Rufus

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

More on the Continuing Saga of Far Cove's Engine...

My engine dealer tells me one difference between the M25 (what I have)
and the M25XPB (what I'm getting) is the exhaust: it's a hose-clamp
fitting rather than a screw-in, and he suggested that the "typical"
exhaust for the M25 is smaller in diameter than for the XPB.

Which means I'll probably have to replace the custom exhaust "riser" in
Far Cove. (donno if "riser" is the right word: it's the pipe from the
manifold to the cast-iron elbow where the cooling water is injected)

I was thinking: I used a flexible stainless-steel "hose" wrapped in
hi-temp insulation for my diesel furnace exhaust: Can I use this for a
26hp diesel engine? Any pros/cons? Seems to me it would be cheaper than
the $1000 I spent to replace the exhaust last time, and it would be
flexible so it would be easier to install/align/etc. the engine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36