posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default Top heavy?

On Jul 3, 11:34*am, David dh@. wrote:
I've got an old boat very much like this one:

http://www.warnersdock.com/images/Fr...fores15yel.JPG

that I'm trying to make into a mini-houseboat,
sort of like a camper. I only expect to have
about 200-300 pounds in the roof and walls,
and the roof will only be about 48" above
the gunwale. The hull will weigh a *lot* more
than what is added, so shouldn't that alone
be enough to keep it from being top heavy
and flipping over? If I add weight, like a
couple hundred pound bags of sand down
in the hull to counterballance, shouldn't
that take care of it? If so, should they
be placed on the sides, or in the center?

This is a bad idea on several levels. Even if you can make the math
seem to work, the hull is designed to sit at a certain level in the
water so as to be safe during all aspects of operation while cruising
or in emergency conditions. Pitch a tent up there, or get a different
boat. It's like pulling a trailer that is too heavy for the vehicle.
The vehicle might get it rolling, but in an emergency can't react the
way you want it to, or the way it was designed.. You might get away
with it for years, but it could also get you killed in seconds. In a
nutshell, you have the wrong tool for the job. Change your plan, or
get a different boat... Just my opinion, but I am always against
modifying a tried and tested design..

Scotty
SmallBoats.com