Jim Conlin

Default are Hereshoff plans in the public domain ?

Ask the curator at
http://www.herreshoff.org/Tops/herre..._drawings.html

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Gregg,

Are there no steel reproductions/simulations/etc. of Herreshoff designs ?

Would those in charge of the archived plans obstruct an attempt to do
such a thing ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney

Gregg Germain wrote:

Eide wrote:
:
: Moulds on every frame,
: tapered frames,

Yeah...tapered frames. All very well - removes weight at the sheer
etc. Helps performance.

But I'm here to tell you it's an infernal nuisance when you are
rebuilding (possibly easier when building from scratch).

first just getting the frames out of the flitches is much more time
consuming. They start 1" x 1" at the sheer and increase 1/16",
moulded and sided, for every foot of length.

So each rib is a different length therefore different dimensions
moulded and sided. So you cannot steam up a bunch of them and if one
breaks toss it over the side and grabe the next one out of the box.
Each is cut to size and fits only in that one location.

Still, I'm adhering to the tapers.

--- Gregg

My woodworking projects:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

"Improvise, adapt, overcome."