William R. Watt

Default Must build a boat - looking for guidance

Deals on "TLC boats" start at less than $500 for 25' glass (running

.. If you gotta have power, a 2hp
outboard with long shaft should do it.

if a person is going to put a 2 hp outboard on a 25 ft fibreglass boat I'd
also suggest a good anchor with a long rope and chain. in any kind of
wind, waves, current, or some combination, the motor won't do much. better
to throw out the anchor and wait. I had a 3 hp outboard on a 21 ft
mahogony strip sailboat (very light boat for its size) and it wasn't worth
spit unless the wind and water were quiet. a paddle won't do much. maybe a
pair of oars. a small motor is okay when you run out of wind but not if
you're trying to motor into or out of a dock or mooring in other
conditions. I used to sail in and out among the moored boats in all
conditions except no wind. Only used the motor when the wind died. ehen
the motor is used the centreboard has to be halfway down, if there is a
centreboard, for directional stability.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm