Roger Martin

Default Using laminated veneer?

"jotis" wrote in message
Hello -

I would like to build a dinghy or small sailboat using the cold-molded
plywood method, sometimes called laminated veneer.

I have looked a couple of books (Ruel Parker's and Hub Miller), but their
emphasis seems to be on large yachts. Since I want to make a small boat,
neither book answers the questions about ;

1. Selection of veneer, ie, wood type, appropriate thickness, number of

plys
(plies?), etc.

2. Mold method set-ups which are more suited to small boats.

3. The best method for making and setting up stems and transoms.

4. Adhesives - must if be epoxy? How about using the "construction" types
glues?

5. General "comfort talk" to aspiring cold-molders.

Can anybody help? Your specific suggegestions or references will be

greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Joseph

The Mirror sailing/rowing/small outboard design uses 1/8" plywood and very
basic cold moulding. hard Chines, etc. Plenty of websites and plans
available. Its not a multi laminate with cross plys.

I've been experimenting with three western red cedar strips of 1/8" thick by
1" wide interlaced with carbon fibre and epoxy. A 3' length will support me
at 100kgs and is very rigid.

--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs