Jim Conlin

Default Using laminated veneer?

The veneer cold-molding process is well documented in the Gougeon book.
(Western red) cedar veneer was the preferred material. Eventually, it was
figured out that the addition of a light fiberglass skinn was needed to protect
the soft cedar. The strip canoe folks figured out that if there was a
structural glass skin on both sides, multiple layers of wood core weren't
necessary and the skins gave adequate 'thwartship strength. So, for boats under
thirty feet, cold-molding with veneers has been largely replaced by strip
composite construction. Less labor, cheaper materials, equal product.
That's why it's now hard to find cedar veneers.

jotis wrote:

Hello -

I would like to build a dinghy or small sailboat using the cold-molded
plywood method, sometimes called laminated veneer.

I have looked a couple of books (Ruel Parker's and Hub Miller), but their
emphasis seems to be on large yachts. Since I want to make a small boat,
neither book answers the questions about ;

1. Selection of veneer, ie, wood type, appropriate thickness, number of plys
(plies?), etc.

2. Mold method set-ups which are more suited to small boats.

3. The best method for making and setting up stems and transoms.

4. Adhesives - must if be epoxy? How about using the "construction" types
glues?

5. General "comfort talk" to aspiring cold-molders.

Can anybody help? Your specific suggegestions or references will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Joseph