Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Why women and sailing don't mix.

Bob wrote:

On Jun 27, 2:34*pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
A recent posting by Rosalie B. solidified my opinion that women and sailing
just don't mix. *

. Rosalie B. wrote: "I would have said a
smaller boat myself - either a CSY 33 or 37. *But that's not what Bob
wanted, and the love of a specific boat isn't rational."

Ugg!

And then she wrote this: "I find both sailing and fishing a little bit
boring. *I go with Bob because I think he wants me to go, and I think he
needs me to go. *I would be just as happy at home.

People who are not honest and open. Typical passive aggessive
behavior.

What happened was - Bob decided that we would charter a boat because
he wanted to have a boat to sail down to the Virgin Islands, and
wanted to see if I would be OK with that. So we chartered a CSY (we
did a crewed charter) and he fell in love with the boat, and before I
had decided whether I wanted to go sailing or not, we (he) had already
bought the boat. He isn't going to get to sail down to the Virgin
Islands though unless he is willing to have at least one more person
as crew because I'm chicken to do it by ourselves. Or unless he
decides to go solo. But he doesn't want anyone else on the boat but
the two of us and I really don't think he wants to go by himself or he
would have done it by now..

He's done that kind of thing before. In the first 40 years of our
marriage he bought and restored two 1932 Plymouths, and we have toted
all that car stuff all over the country while he was in the Navy. Then
he decided to convert a regular car to run on batteries. So he did
that. He's got a million projects. I just let him do them - I don't
complain. I'm not whiney. I support him. But I certainly never
would have been interested in those things on my own.

Today, he put the cutlass bearing back on the boat, and I came down to
help him put the flange back on. He put ice packs on the shaft, and I
heated the flange up with a torch. He put it on inside the boat and I
hammered it in from the outside. Then we put the Max-Prop back on,
although it took us three or four tries to get it right. It needed
two people/four hands to do those things, and mine were there to do
them.
..