posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] chvjillson@aol.com is offline

Default crack in keel of an '86 Forester fiberglass boat

Hi folks:

I just purchased a used fiberglass boat and noticed a 12 inch long
crack that runs along the keel of this boat. While investigating the
area, it looks like the damage was caused by loading this boat onto
its trailer and hitting a roller a bit too hard. This has also
created a soft spot in the middle of this long crack.

I'm wondering if somebody can share with me a step by step procedure
of how I should repair this?

Also, when trying to see the damage from inside the boat, I noticed
there's an elevated layer of fiberglass (maybe 3 inches) above the
area of the damage. If I was to try to repair this from inside the
hull, it looks like I would need to somehow cut into this elevated
layer.

Thanks for your help!

Clark