orbital

Default Anchor Pulpit Construction

I have decided to completely forego the light on the tip of the
pulpit. It seems that it will add quite a bit of work to the project
regardless of the approach and there is some question as to how it
will affect the overall strength of the finished piece.

Instead, I will add sidelights to the flybridge. They will improve
the visibility in that position as well. It just means that now I
have another wiring project to get done this winter.

The other thing I am now contemplating is if I should forget about the
slot in the pulpit. I was going to use the slot so that the anchor was
stowed under the pulpit with the rode coming through the slot and into
the windlass. Now I am thinking of using a roller on the top of the
end of the pulpit so the anchor rolls of the front and stows up front.
Again, this will make the construction easier and keep the acnhor
further out from the stem of the boat.

It does. However, how about a compromise? You build the part full
thickness and then dado a 1" wide by say, 3/16" deep trough down the
middle, on the underside of the part. Centered in that trough, dado
another trough wide and deep enough for your wires. Set in the wires
and fasten a 3/16" by 1" "cover" into the initial trough, flush with
the bottom. It would be easier than the layup schedual you have in
mind for sure. I don't like the odds, clamping the parts the way you
have suggested, leaving a blind conduit in the part. I think my way
would be stronger too, as well as leaving access to the wires.
Scotty, recovering ascii junkie...