Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Convert to Throttle Body FI

On 2008-06-22 22:23:55 -0400, "Bob999" u44405@uwe said:

Now that gas prices have our attention, it would make sense to convert my
1989 5.7L Alpha One Mercruiser I/O from carburetor to throttle body injection.
A few years ago, when it was marginally economic, I remember ads in several
boating magazines for throttle body conversion kits (remove the carburetor
and bolt in the TBI). I can't find them anymore, even with Google. Does
anyone know if these are still available and where I can get one?

I'm a fan of throttle body injection, but if it's marginal, you might
investigate something a dockmate said *drastically* improved his
consumption: Switching to higher gearing and larger props.

Wish I could remember more, but in the sailboat world, a similar change
just about doubled economy.

(My recollection is that it was a 30% improvement, but that sounds high
for a planing boat. Still, a new prop alone can give 10%, so maybe
that's not so farfetched.)

--
Jere Lull