Backyard Renegade

Default vacuum bagging hull

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:B7PEb.8520$JD6.5798@lakeread04...
Did you read my post in the original thread? You will never have enough
time to bag a 40' hull with polyester. You do not have enough open
time. Epoxy and properly aligned uni and bidirectiona E-glass will be
stronger, lighter and give plenty of time for a crew of 6 people to lay
two plys on a 40' hull. We were very well organized with all the right
tools when we bagged my 45' hull and it still took 6 hours to lay the
glass and another hour to set the peelply,breather and bag and another
30 minutes pull the bag. Polyester will give you two hours at most IF
you can control the catalyst very closely and keep the temperature in
the low 60s.

If you are worried about the extra cost of epoxy you better start
thinking about a smaller boat because what you will save with polyester
on the hull glass is an infinitesimally small part of what you are about
to spend.

Hey Glenn, how would you like to pay for some of that boat? Depending
on where you are, you should do a seminar on vacume bagging large
hulls, bulkheads, etc. You could charge $X a day, I know if you were
close enough, I would come. Scotty I am kinda' joking here, but kinda'
not.

Courtney Thomas,,, wrote:

John,

Thank you for your reply, but you are repeating my questions :-)

The hull is 40' LOA.

No I don't have any experience doing this....that's why I'm posting the
query.

I'm confused as to why you are unclear of the motive, ostensibly knowing
the difference between E-glass/polyester resin and S-glass/epoxy.

Anyway, have you any related experience/knowledge of such an undertaking ?

Cordially,
Courtney

John Meachen wrote:

There is no technical reason why it cannot be done.There is however a
need for enough people to cope with the job.It would be useful to know
how big the hull in question is.
Ther is also the question of why you would mix E-glass and
polyester with S-glass and epoxy.Have you any experience of either
combination?