[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default How do I shape the bunks to the boat hull?

On Jun 18, 7:02*pm, kipmc4 wrote:
I'm changing the bunks on a used trailer I bought and need some
advice. The bunks are adjustable and I have measured the position on
my old trailer and have all the supports close. The only question is:

What's the best method to curve the bunks to fit the hull? The bunks
curve up in front and that is not too hard but they also curve inward
toward the center. The bunks are very stiff in that direction.

I'm using 2x6 wet fir ( not kiln dried)

Do I get the wood wet? *Use a chain to pull them into position?
Something else?

I'd like to get the shape pretty close before I try loading the boat.

18ft I/O Wellcraft w/ Cobra outdrive. Single axile trailer.

Thanks

Kip

Couple of pressure treated 2x6's covered with bunk material is all you
need. For that boat 10 ft will be fine. 6" side against the hull.
Just install them parallel. Ideally you want to position them so that
they are somewhat under the two main stringers that your engine mounts
sit on. You want the bunk to be just a bit past the edge of the
transom when the boat is on the trailer. The engine and transom are
where the most weight it. Also make sure you have them when the hit a
flat part of the hull if it is not flat everywhere on the bottom.
They will bend to fit as needed if you have them positioned ok. Some
trailers have 4 but for most boats 2 is enough. I only have 2 10' 2x6
bunks for my 19.5 with a 5.7.