HK HK is offline

Default How do I shape the bunks to the boat hull?

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:02:12 -0700 (PDT), kipmc4 wrote:

I'm changing the bunks on a used trailer I bought and need some
advice. The bunks are adjustable and I have measured the position on
my old trailer and have all the supports close. The only question is:

What's the best method to curve the bunks to fit the hull? The bunks
curve up in front and that is not too hard but they also curve inward
toward the center. The bunks are very stiff in that direction.

I'm using 2x6 wet fir ( not kiln dried)

Do I get the wood wet? Use a chain to pull them into position?
Something else?

I'd like to get the shape pretty close before I try loading the boat.

18ft I/O Wellcraft w/ Cobra outdrive. Single axile trailer.

Thanks

Kip

Before you get buried in the nonsense you'll hear here in rec.boats...

There's no reason to curve the rear trailer bunks in towards the center
of the trailer.

Both bunks should be straight, on edge (perpendicular to the ground),
and, hopefully, beveled on the top inside edge where the wood meets the
deadrise of the boat's bottom. You want to move the bunks in or out on
the horizonal plane so they best support the weight of the boat.

The rear bunks on my trailer are either 2x10 or 2x12 on edge, cypress,
and carpeted with a slippery outdoor-rug-like fabric. I think they are
2x10, but I just don't recall. The trailer has front bunks, too. These
are not upright on edge, but are tilted on their sides to more closely
match the sharper "deadrise" of the boat's bottom towards the bow. As
these bunks go forward, they have been adjusted to move a bit closer to
the center of the trailer.

The rear bunks of the trailer should extend to the end of the bottom of
the boat at the transom, or close to it, within a couple of inches at least.

Here are some photos I took a while ago:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...loadmaster.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...C/IMG_0444.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...C/IMG_0441.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...C/bowshot1.jpg