Jeff Jeff is offline

Default stolen fuel

Paul English wrote:
My boat had 100 gallons of fuel drained sometime between when I stored
the boat (Boston area) and when they put it back in the water last
week.

Anyone else experienced something like this? What to do? The storage
place of course denied this happened while under their eye, yet they
had no suggestions for when this might have happened. (Perhaps the
night after they put it in the water but before I got on it the next
day?)

I asked them if they recorded the amount of fuel (and hours on
engines) when they got a boat for storage, and then when they launched
it (possibly after any repairs etc) and they said no.

Suggestions for anything I can do?

Check your bilge?

Sorry, I (and I assume many others) have been the victim of minor theft
over the years; there really isn't anything to do about it. It might be
different if your boat was in indoor storage, and you had a record of an
end of season fillup, and you checked your fuel before launch. But if
it was outdoors, in a yard accessible, anyone could have slipped a
siphon into your tank. In fact, a boat below yours could siphon
directly into his tank.

If you were really convinced your yard was guilty, or negligent, you
could reveal their name here.