Jim Jim is offline

Default Handheld GPS to vhf connection

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:32:32 -0700 (PDT), ETSteveB
wrote:

On Jun 16, 6:19 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:56:05 -0700 (PDT), ETSteveB

wrote:
I have a Garmin ETrex Legend that I want to hook up to my new Cobra
fixed mount VHF. I have a cable to hook up the GPS to the computer,
but it won't plug into the VHF. Is this something Garmin will have to
supply (if there is such a thing)?
Thanks in advance

Um..if you are talking about using DSC, why would you connect the GPS
to the computer? It should connect directly to the radio via the NEMA
i/o cable.

Unless I'm missing something.

Which I probably am.

Sorry, I was just saying thats the only cable that came with the Garmin

Ah - thought so.

It's pretty simple. If Garmin didn't give you the NEMA cable to
connect the GPS to the radio, obtain one - the Garmin probably has a
different connector than everybody else uses.

Then it's just a question of following the NEMA color code.

Which is...

YELLOW Wire = NEMA+ Out
BROWN Wire = NEMA- Out

"screen" / Shield = ground/not connected
gray = not connected

Red = +12vdc
Black = -12vdc

White = NEMA + data in (such as FROM another source)
Green = NEMA - data in

Most likely what you will need for the radio is Green and Brown to a
RCA plug or whatever type plug the radio uses.

Check your radio/GPS manuals to be absolutely sure.

Also you will need to match baud rates and data formats. Hopefully the
Garmin can be set to match what the radio needs. Why don't all devices
communicate with USB or bluetooth? Life would be much simpler.